Thank you to the overnight occupier who gave me planning notes and relayed most of this info!
#OccupyCleveland has its own mailing address! Send mail to:
99% Public Square
Cleveland, Ohio 44113
On Monday October 17 there will be a revealing of a first draft of proposals, most likely at the 6pm GA.
On Wednesday, October 26, a senior retiree group will march in solidarity with some of the young people to the “trade circle.”
Current Needs (10/16)
The people organizing the kitchen would like fresh water and for people to refill propane canisters. When we visit the overnight area, can we please bring water to refill containers, and can we please take empty propane canisters with us when we go and bring them back full the next day?
We request more overnight occupiers and volunteers.
What Happened at the Saturday Rally
OccupyCleveland had a rally at 12pm yesterday. It was both informative and fun. Topics covered by Speakers included:
I. Economic Justice
- Reinstatment of Glass Steagall or forms of banking regulation/oversight
- Reforming so that there is no abusive use of credit, payday lending
- Reforming the low savings rate
- Creating a better living wage
- More assistance for small businesses and cooperatives
- Less assistance for multinational corporations
- Opposition to corporate personhood
- Helping stop foreclosures
- Addressing the damage caused by the wiping out of 20% of our nation’s capital investment due to the banking crisis
- Addressing and fixing the local area’s underemployment and unemployment (ref www.georgezeller.com)
- Helping improve labor issues and workers rights
- Addressing the inequity of the current distribution of wealth
II Social Justice
- Campaign finance reform
- Direct citizen participation
- Transparency in government
- Voter rights, ballot access, better voting systems
III State Issues 2 and 3
IV The Military Industrial complex
- We’ve spent much more money on the military in comparison to all other countries on the planet
- The amount spent on the military is larger than all other budgeted items in the federal budget
- The purpose of the military is called into question, particularly considering its history of injustice to people all over the world. The injustice is still going on.
V. Environmental Justice
- Energy issues
Federal Reserve Building March and Evening Vigil and March
Immediately following the 12pm GA/Rally, we marched to the Federal Reserve building. Some 200-250 people attended the march, which circled around area banks.
In the evening, there was music and a silent vigil and march with candles symbolizing solidarity with the movement around the world. “All the beautiful people were there,” said one kitchen guy.
We are starting to get procedural stuff down pat, but we are working on logistics coordination to facilitate intercommunication between groups (CONCENSUS REACHED)
On the 26th, a senior retiree group will march in solidarity with some of the young people to the “trade circle.” (CONCENSUS REACHED)
We discussed and decided to have a “sage” position. The sage will be at the welcome table with books and meeting notes at hand at all times.
We would like more volunteers but we are working on some kind of process so that we do not continuously rehash ideas that have already been talked about and about which solutions are in process.
When one notices an item being removed from the overnighters’ area, please respectfully ask why it is being removed and if it will be put back. (Items have been taken from us and not returned, but we wish to be respectful of people who do actually want to help.)