These notes are based on interviews this morning with some overnight occupiers as last night’s notes were not available. Admin–please feel free to delete/edit this if needed.
Here’s what the overnighters relayed:
- Today’s 6pm general assembly meeting will take place at Old Stone Church.
- The overnight occupiers now have carport tents and are working on cleaning up the area more.
- The kitchen area is now more defined, including full-time roles for people (cooks, dishwashers, etc.) There are also full-time watchpeople at night.
- Part of the meeting was about reaching out to others, possibly by using craigslist ads such as: “Organizers needed: can pay with food and shelter.”
- An educator talked about the history of corporations in the United States.
Thanks to one of the overnighters who gave me notes this morning. One guy has given me notes the past couple mornings. He has great stories. Today he told me about working his having worked with Mother Theresa for two years.
Mother Theresa had an epiphany in India. She was on a train somewhere and all these people got down off the train to use the bathroom en masse. Mother Theresa got down off with them and she saw a leper. The leper suddenly appeared to be on a cross, like Jesus, and then disappeared. At that point Mother Theresa knew she had to dedicate her life to working among people who had been called untouchables.
“I’m sad,” I told the overnighter, “because I read that she felt for a long time that she was missing direct communion with God.”
He said Mother Theresa had relayed to him, “I needed to be in the night of the soul.”
The overnighter also told me about the Hebrew word ruah, which means the breath, spirit, and that we are all breathing, we must breathe, and metaphorically with respect to the Occupy Movement, I believe this has applicability. We must breathe; it has come to this, and we are breathing. We are occupying.
(Poets and writers: much interesting stuff to be learned here and a cool cast of characters. Come participate!)